Vidyarthi Homa 2012
Vidyarthi homa is designed to solemnize students' resolutions for building healthy habits -physical as well mental- by reapeating certain mantras (verbal formulas) called vidyarthi homa mantras. These resolutions are administrated at the beginning of the academic year to fresh entrants in the residential institutions run by the Ramakrishna Mission in different parts of India. The students participate in a homa and offer their oblations in the sacred fire. Vidyarthi homa is the solemn occasion where a student resolves to follow the five resolutions outlined in the vidyarthi homa mantras. He does so with an expressed desire to follow them in life.
The five resolutions are:
- For physical well-being through doing regular exercises/playing, eating nutritious food and following the rules of good health.
- For regular and sincere study by following a systematic and persistent approach to studies.
- For practicing truthfulness in words, thoughts and actions.
- For being unselfish and compassionate in one's thoughts, words and actions.
- For developing a sense of being dutiful and sensitive to the needs and challenges of the collective social good.
This year the vidyarthi homa took place in our Narendrapur Faculty Centre in Kolkata.
Photos taken September 17, 2012.